Sunday, November 7, 2010

Writing Imagineering

So, a few months ago I got the address of Walt Disney Imagineering and decided to write them a letter. In the letter, I talked about my passion for what they do and how much I admire them. I spoke of my plans to become a future Imagineer and the steps I am taking to accomplish my dream. After I sent the letter, I almost forgot about it. I knew they had better things to be doing then respond to ever piece of mail they get from fanboys. When I checked my mail the other day, however, I found out that I was wrong.

I was extremely happy to find that I received a response from WDI. It came in a large white envelope with an Imagineering sticker placed on it. My name was even printed on the sticker. This was beyond a dream come true. Like a small child on Christmas day, I couldn't wait to open it and see what special treat I got.

Inside my special envelope, there were 3 special papers. The first thing I read was a letter from David Fisher who is a Senior Show Writer for the Story Development arm of WDI. The letter was also printed on WDI stationary. I thought I was dreaming. I couldn't believe what I seeing. Still in shock, I read the letter. I was thanked for writing Imagineering and then told some more information about who they are and what they do. Mr. Fisher even added a personal touch by congratulating me on my graduation from high school and acceptance to college. From there, he began to share his own Disney story. When he was 13, he wrote Disneyland and asked how to get a job. He eventually got one working in the custodial department. And after more school, he finally got his current position at Imagineering. Fisher then apologized for the length of time it took to respond to my letter and told me how it made the rounds at Imagineering and eventually ended up on his desk. Finally, he told me how I seemed to be on the right path and thanked me once again for writing Imagineering and reminding them why they do what they do.

Another thing I received from Imagineering was a WDI fact sheet. The sheet was nothing groundbreaking, but went into some more detail about WDI and what they do. It talked about their history, creative process, technological milestones, and current endeavors. While I have seen most of the information before, it was cool to see all of it in one place.

Finally, my last piece a 3 page packet. It was a photocopy of article written for the now extinct Disney Magazine. The article is called So You Want to be an Imagineer and is written by none other than David Fisher. I've read the article before, but that was a long time ago and I'm very glad to have a new copy.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the response I got. The fact that I even got one blew me away. This just goes to show the nature of the Imagineers. They really do care about what they do and why they do it. The happiness of their guests is their number one priority and they will go to any length to make them feel special. So if by chance anyone from Imagineering ever reads this blog, thank you very much for responding to me. It truly meant a lot to me and inspired me.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you man! You really seem to care about becoming an imagineer and passion is very helpful. I actually thought about sending a letter to Glendale, California where the WDI headquarters are. The only problem was I wanted to wait until I find out what I want to do for the imagineering field first. For instance I am now looking in to being a civil engineer. I may now look a little bit more into sending a letter. If you don't mind of course. I think what you are doingto become an imagineer is great. I cannot wait until I am old enough to pursue my dream in becoming an imagineer. I really look up to people like you and really hope your dream comes true in becoming a Disney Imagineer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Of course I don't mind. Good luck with pursuing your own dreams and best wishes for future success!

    ReplyDelete