Saturday, November 27, 2010

Fear and Loathing in Disney

Pixar is Disney. Whether people wanna accept it or not, its a fact. So why are avid Disney fans so against seeing Pixar put in the sacred Disney Parks around the world?



I decided to first compile a list of Pixar attractions in WDW:
  • Toy Story Midway Mania!
  • Monsters, Inc.:Laugh Floor
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug!
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin
Those are all the major Pixar attractions in Disney World. There's only 6. So why is it such a big deal?

One of the major arguments against Pixar in the Parks is the quality of the attractions. Many people believe that the Pixar attractions are sub-par. I tend to disagree. The Seas with Nemo and Friends made the Living Seas a much more entertaining pavilion. While it might not suit everyone's tastes, Toy Story Midway Mania is an impressive and fun ride. Turtle Talk with Crush was, at the time, a very innovative theme park experience.

I only agree with the ban Pixar movement in one area. Monsters Inc. It was a great movie, but has no place in Tomorrowland. Timekeeper was great and fit in extremely well in the land. Monsters Inc. completely goes against the theming of Tomorrowland. I also don't like the show in general. The seats are uncomfortable and the jokes are very generic. Good for little kids, not so much for anyone else.

In general my feeling is story is what matters in an attraction. Who cares if it once was a Pixar movie? I'll take a well made attraction with a deep story any day. The issue here shouldn't be Imagineers using Pixar, it should be the Imagineers making average attractions. After all, there are some attractions that I feel Pixar could improve.

The Backlot Tour
Who wouldn't wanna go on a tour of the Pixar Animation Studios? You could see artists hard at work creating your favorite characters. Imagine journeying through real life recreations of your favorite Pixar movies. It could be like a Pixar Great Movie Ride mixed with the Magic of Disney Animation.

Universe of Energy
 Okay, you have to follow me on this one. I'm not saying take the science and facts out of this pavilion. They are the most important part. But this would be a great place to use the Wall-E character. It would be a great way to get kids introduced to the importance of energy and the enormous affect its going to have on our future.

The Incredibles
 So there isn't one attraction I'd like to see them replace. I think WDW needs an Incredibles attraction. It was such a cool movie and I know it could be a great ride. We can only hope the Imagineers have the money to develop an attraction worthy of this film.

So what do you think of Pixar? Too much? Too little? Don't care?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jtsalien,

    I know this isn't the greatest place to introduce myself but I can't find your email anywhere else. I stumbled across your blog today and I couldn't help but smile as I noticed how eerily similar we are.... I'm a college student down in Texas, OBSESSED with the Disney parks and Imagineering (not just the regular "check the Disney website" obsessed either, we're talking "miceage, disneyandmore, parkeology, etc" obsessed), a mechanical engineer, and, believe it or not, a drummer. Creepy, right? Lol, but seriously I just wanted to say hi and say congrats on making this blog and actually KEEPING UP WITH IT unlike the one I tried to start years ago. Good luck and we should definitely keep in touch.

    Here's my email: cmenke18@aol.com
    Hope to here from ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha aaand apparently I didn't look too hard cause I just found your email on the next page...

    ReplyDelete